The Montessori Children's House of Nantucket works to create an environment that inspires children to develop inner discipline, self-assurance and a love of learning.
We seek to balance academic and social development to foster responsibility and cooperation within a supportive learning environment.
To achieve its mission, MCHN:
- Respects each child for who he or she is.
- Encourages and fosters individual excellence
- Offers choices within the environment allowing children the opportunity to shape their own learning style
- Offers freedom with limits promoting independence, self-respect and respect for others.
- Brings children and families together with diverse ages, religious, cultural and socioeconomic background developing social skills.
To achieve these goals, MCHN:
- Fosters hands on experiences, observation and discovery
- Provides cultural diversity in the school environment
- Care for our fragile Island environment and the harmony necessary between its inhabitants promoting good stewardship for the future.
- Encourage appreciation for the Island's history.
- Initiate a cultural awareness through the arts.
- Develop language and math skills necessary for success in the future including STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)